- - Engineering
- Frederick, MD, USA
- Full Time
The Transducer Design Engineer is responsible for the design development and documentation of piezo-electric transducers, electro-mechanical transducers, vibration generators and associated accessories.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Design new piezo-electric transducers for the defense, industrial, medical, oil & gas, safety, automotive and aerospace markets.
- Design and selection of piezo-ceramic components useful for transducer/sensor design.
- Analysis of transducer output/sensitivity, noise, resonances, etc., necessary to characterize a transducer.
- Provide mechanical design expertise to support the production of piezo-electric products.
- Perform value analysis during the product design phase while optimizing product development costs.
- Coordinate projects and tasks with other Mechanical, Electrical, and Manufacturing Engineers to complete assignments and projects on schedule.
- Improve mechanical designs of existing transducers to reduce cost and improve the manufacturing process.
- Test and evaluate new designs using common laboratory equipment used for acoustic and vibration products
- Work in an organized fashion by maintaining project files and appropriate records of work.
- Research and investigate leading edge technologies for creating new products or processes.
- Other duties as assigned
Experience / background:
- A minimum of five to seven years of experience in piezo-electric transducer design in the defense, medical, oil & gas, safety, automotive, aerospace, or industrial markets.
- U.S Citizenship required with the ability to obtain a government security clearance.
- Knowledge of piezo-ceramic types, modes, and properties useful for transducer design.
- Proficient with mechanical design software such as AutoCAD, Inventor, Solid Works.
- Proficient with Finite Element Method (FEM) software such as ANSYS.
- Knowledge of how to design metal, plastic, and ceramic parts including material selection and fabrication techniques.
- Knowledge of adhesives for different materials and their uses in transducer production.
- General knowledge of electronics, soldering, connectors, etc.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Good interpersonal skills and an ability to work with every level of the organization.
- B.S. or equivalent experience in Mechanical Engineering or a related field. Masters preferred.
ENVIRONMENTAL & PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Office / Sedentary Requirements:
Incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of the job. Work is performed primarily in an office environment. Typically requires the ability to sit for extended periods of time (66%+ each day), ability to hear the telephone, ability to enter data on a computer and may also require the ability to lift up to 10 pounds.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION REGARDING JOB DUTIES AND JOB DESCRIPTIONS
Job duties include additional responsibilities as assigned by one's supervisor or another manager related to the position/department. This job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position. Wilcoxon Sensing Technologies reserves the right at any time with or without notice to alter or change job responsibilities, reassign, or transfer job position or assign additional job responsibilities, subject to applicable law. Wilcoxon Sensing Technologies shall provide reasonable accommodations of known disabilities to enable a qualified applicant or employee to apply for employment, perform the essential functions of the job, or enjoy the benefits and privileges of employment as required by the law.